Chicken Tortellini Soup
courtesy of Real Housemoms
Servings: 8 to 10 people
- 2 lbs rotisserie chicken, chunked
- 12 oz cheese tortellini, cooked according to package directions
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced fine
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 dash pepper
- 1.In a large pot, over medium high heat, melt the butter and sauté the carrots, onions, and celery for 6-8 minutes or until the onions start to turn translucent.
- 2.Add the garlic to the same pot, and and cook for 30 seconds or until it’s fragrant.
- 3.At this point, start your tortellini. Cook according to package directions. Usually this means boiling for 6-8 minutes, so plan to have it done around when the rest of your soup is finished.
- 4.Add the flour to your pot with your veggies, and stir well, continue cooking for a minute or two until a very light golden color.
- 5.Add in the chicken stock, and stir well while adding. This will keep the flour mixture from clumping, and keep it lose.
- 6.Add whipping cream (you can use milk)
- 7.Allow soup to come to a boil, stir frequently so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot. Add the chicken, tortellini, baby spinach, and seasonings, and stir.