Skip to main navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

We’re committed to reducing our environmental footprint and helping you with your own sustainability goals. At Glad, we’re focusing our sustainability journey on 4 key areas: Products, Production, Packaging and Programs. We are also partnering with others to help spread environmental awareness.

Our Four Pillars of Sustainability

Products with Less Plastic

We’ve developed breakthrough technology that enables our drawstring kitchen trash bags to use less plastic than leading competition* without sacrificing strength. We’re also working on reducing the amount of virgin materials in all of our products.


50% reduction in virgin materials for Glad Trash by 2030


Virgin material reduced by 14%

* Ranges from 4% to 28% less plastic vs. top 7 competitors.

† Applies to Glad trash business product and packaging comparison between 2018 and 2022. Achieved by plastic reduction in product and increased recycled fiber in packaging.

Production with Less Pollution

We're improving manufacturing processes to reduce environmental impact.


Zero Waste to Landfill manufacturing for North American plants


Goal achieved in May 2018!


100% renewable electricity in our North American plants§


Goal achieved in January 2021!

‡ Recycle or repurpose at least 90% of its waste, send the remaining 10% or less to a waste-to-energy facility.

§ For bags manufactured in US plants. All energy used is offset by virtual power purchase agreements and purchased renewable energy certificates (REC’s).

Packaging with Less Waste

We’re reducing the environmental impact of our packaging.


100% recyclable, reusable or compostable packaging by 2025


99% of packaging material is recyclable**


60% reduction in virgin packaging by 2030††


Virgin packaging material reduced by 45%††

** Applies to Glad trash, wraps, and food bag businesses as of CY2022.
†† Applies to Glad trash, wraps, and food bags business comparison between 2018 and 2022. Achieved by increased recycled fiber in packaging.

Programs with More Purpose

Ultimately we can’t do this alone, so we’re actively partnering with like-minded companies and organizations who can help us efficiently scale our impact.


Glad has joined forces with The Home Depot to help reduce and recycle plastic waste by collecting and processing plastic shipping waste, along with other recycled materials, to bring you a bag with 10% recycled plastic and guaranteed strength. Learn more about our partnership here.


Glad teamed up with Recyclops to improve curbside recycling access across the U.S. Learn more about Recyclops here.

Listen and Learn More

What does “recycled content” mean? How is Glad doing more to waste less? Listen in as our friends at Sustainability Defined podcast discuss Glad’s sustainability journey.

Some Commonly Asked Questions

Virgin material refers to newly created plastic used to make a product, as well as the newly created fiber used to make the packaging.

This plastic material is produced directly from newly created petrochemical feedstock used in our product which has never been used or processed before.

This paper fiber is produced directly from newly created pulp feedstock which has never been used or processed before.

A plastic that has been processed more than one time. In the case of our 50% recovered plastic bag, a combination of recycled plastic and reclaimed plastic.

Material that has been diverted from a waste stream that would otherwise go to a landfill or incinerator and can be reused to make new plastic products.

Plastic scrap generated during manufacturing that is collected and put back into similar products during normal operations to avoid waste.

This means 90% of the waste generated in a manufacturing plant gets recycled or repurposed, 10% or less gets sent to a waste-to-energy facility.

From NRDC site, “Renewable energy, often referred to as clean energy, comes from natural sources or processes that are constantly replenished.”