As conscious consumers, we are voting every day with our dollar. Scratch that — every consumer is voting with their dollar every day, consciously or not. You are given the agency to align your purchases and beliefs through buying power (or not buying power — not spending money on a product makes a statement, too!) So, the next time you run out of your shampoo, maybe you decide to purchase a more sustainable option this time around. Seems easy enough, right? Unfortunately, it’s not always that simple. When it comes to knowing what you are actually buying look past the label and dig deeper into the actual production!

Glad is committed to reducing its environmental footprint and helping consumers on their own sustainability journeys. By investing in a smarter design that allows their trash bags to be made with less plastic1, Glad is committed to meaningful progress. This isn’t just in the concept but integrated into each step of the process, including the actual production of a product.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store and walked down the aisle with kitchen gadgets. This can be one of the hardest aisles to shop as a conscious consumer because it is filled with tree-covered labels and earthy scents; all signs that seem to point toward a more sustainable product. The number of customers opting for more eco-conscious trash bags or plastic-free dish soap is rising, and brands are rushing to meet the demand. As I continued down the rows, I ended up stopping in front of Glad’s ForceFlexPlus Recovered Plastic Bags. I was out of trash bags and wanted to determine if this was the eco-conscious waste disposal solution it appeared to be. To look past the label, I asked myself these questions to learn that Glad’s Recovered Plastic trash bags were an awesome addition to my grocery cart:

  • #1: Does this product use sustainable materials? The different ways in which there can be an environmental impact vary. When it comes to everyday products like trash bags, your first area of concern is likely how it was made. Glad’s ForceFlexPlus Recovered Plastic Bags are the brand’s most sustainable bags yet, made with 50% recovered plastic (20% recycled plastic, 30% reclaimed plastic)!
  • #2: What are some more ways Glad is incorporating eco-conscious practices in the manufacturing of its products? Every Glad product made in North America (and if you live in North America, that means less supply chain transportation!) is manufactured in certified zero-waste-to-landfill plants4 and has been since 2018. On top of that, they use 100% renewable electricity in North American plants5. Rather than improving just one process, Glad is taking a look at the bigger picture to amass more change all at once throughout their processes.
  • #3: How accessible is this product to me? This may not be a consideration on everyone’s checklist, but accessibility to products is key to a greener future! While it is always available online, you can also pick up Glad bags at major retailers. It’s also extremely easy to dispose of the box since 99% of Glad packaging is recyclable, reusable or compostable.

 

1. Glad drawstring kitchen trash bags use less plastic than leading competitors. Ranges from 7%–22% less plastic vs. top 10 competitors.
2. To be achieved by increasing levels of post consumer recycled content, plastic reduction in product and increased recycled fiber in packaging.
3. Achieved by plastic reduction in product and increased recycled fiber in packaging. *Applies to Glad trash business product and packaging comparison between 2018–2021.
4. Recycled or repurpose at least 90% of its waste, send the remaining 10% or less to waste-to-energy facility.
5. For bags manufactured in U.S. plants. All energy used is offset by virtual power purchase agreements and purchased renewable energy certificates (RECs).