Sausage and Chickpea Soup
Freeze this soup recipe from author, chef and mom Ayesha Curry with Glad and always have dinner “in the bag.”
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups diced onions
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3 cups drained, canned chickpeas, (from 2 cans)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme, rosemary or a combination
- 1. In a large pot, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, onions and celery, and sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly softened and onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 2. Push vegetables to one side of the pot and add the sausage, breaking up with a spoon. Cook for a few minutes, letting the sausage brown slightly, then mix together with the vegetables. Continue to cook, stirring, until sausage is mostly cooked through. Add chickpeas, tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil.
- 3. Once a rapid boil is present, lower heat to a simmer and add herbs, cooking for at least 20 minutes to let the flavors blend. Season generously to taste. Serve hot or let cool and store.
Meal Planning Tip
Cook soup in the beginning of the week for simple lunches or light dinners during the work-week. Use any kind of sausage you want in this soup. It calls for mild Italian pork sausage, but chicken or turkey would work just as well, as would spicy sausage. This would be great served with shaved or grated Parmesan cheese on top. Alternatively, you can substitute white beans for chickpeas for a richer flavor and thicker consistency.
Prep & Protect Tip
Store raw celery in GladWare or a Glad Zipper Bag to keep your veggies fresh for 1-2 weeks. Celery sticks or diced, small pieces should be place in GladWare in the fridge. If preserving whole bunches, place celery in a Glad Zipper Bag that has been punctured for air flow and keep in refrigerator. Freeze extra soup in a Glad Freezer Zipper Bag flat on a tray. Once frozen, store the bag upright to save room in the freezer.