Ginger Molasses Cookies
Would you give the shirt off your back or the food off your plate? Try being glad to give all year round and see what a difference it can make in your community. The gift of food can brighten up a day. Try sharing these cookies in GladWare with a neighbor, co-worker, family member or stranger.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- coarse sugar, for rolling
- 1. Sift the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and salt together in a small bowl. In a standing bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until lightened. Add the egg and the molasses, mixing after each addition. Slowly add in dry ingredients and beat just until combined.
- 2. Chill dough for at least twenty minutes, then scoop out by rounded tablespoons (or use a small cookie scoop).
- 3. If baking right away: Preheat the oven to 375. Roll dough in course or sanding sugar. Space about 2 inches apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are cracked on top and dry around the edges, about 9-11 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- 4. If freezing: Line up dough on a cookie sheet, and freeze for 30 minutes. Place dough balls in layers between parchment paper in GladWare, or transfer to a Glad zipper bag and seal tightly. Freeze until ready to use. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling in the sugar, then proceed with baking instructions. If you don’t want to roll in the sugar, you can bake straight from the freezer. Add 1-2 minutes baking time.
Meal Planning Tip
Headed to a gathering or hosting a group? These cookies can be kept in the freezer for 6-8 months and are perfect to keep on-hand for last-minute dessert ideas.
Prep & Protect Tip
To store unused cookie dough, wrap in ClingWrap and place in a food protection bag. Refrigerate. For baked cookies, make sure they are thoroughly cooled and store them in an airtight GladWare container. Separate soft cookies from the crispy ones to keep them from drying out and getting mushy.